I’m once again joined by my son Ian to help build this year’s Woodworkers Fighting Cancer project – A simple to build DIY kids remote school desk made from 1/2″ plywood and 2×4 material. You may notice that he’s now a taller goofball!
Thanks to Marc & Nicole Spagnuolo at The Wood Whisperer for once again putting together this year’s Woodworkers Fighting Cancer. To learn more and if you’d like to help, visit https://thewoodwhisperer.com/wfc/.
Again this year, my son and I took part in Woodworkers Fighting Cancer. For 2015, my son reprises the role of “goofball” at various points in this video :).
The Woodworkers Fighting Cancer builds are, in my opinion, great projects to include kids in the shop. They’re approachable projects that a child can help out with some assistance, and have some fun and learn in the process.
I modified the original plans for this project by scaling it up for use by a 5th grader. The table height is 29″ and seat height is about 17 1/2″. I also made the surface of the table to be 42″ x 21″ as he will be using this to replace his current table I built for him in 2011 as he was entering the first grade. One other alteration we made is instead of a removable top with an box style underneath, we made 3 apron sides, leaving one side open for storage similar to a desk in school; leaving the top stationary.
The top is painted with grey chalk board paint. The apron, legs, and chair are painted in a dark green (the same paint used in last year’s toy chest project).
Thanks to Marc & Nicole Spagnuolo for once again heading up this year’s Woodworkers Fighting Cancer effort!
We took part in Woodworkers Fighting Cancer once again this year. One of the things I really like about the WFC projects, besides the fact that they’re built for a great cause, is that they are rather easy projects that you can easily invite kids into the shop to help out.
My son helped with this project, and is loving the toy chest that he now gets to use. As you’ll see in the video, he’s not too camera shy, and he had a couple of fun goofy moments!
The original pine panel I bought turned out to be less than ideal. When I unwrapped it from the plastic, I found the laminates were starting to come apart. I returned it and glued up my own panel out of two pine boards, which I actually thought came out looking more natural. The rest went pretty smoothly, and I pretty much followed the same process Marc did for his rocking horse. I did use blue tape that I applied to the wood, then applied the spray adhesive to this before laying down the paper plans, which made for easy removal after the fact. I cut out the parts with a jigsaw, shape them by sanding and using files. I then sealed all the parts with a coat of shellac. I then used General Finishes Antique Walnut gel stain on those parts that needed them (saddle, mane, handles, ears, and footrests). This was followed with another few coats of shellac, light sanding in between. Then, final assembly.
This project was fun, and approachable for someone fairly new to woodworking, like myself. If you’re interested in building along, or if you can’t, but still want to support LIVESTRONG, head on over to Woodworkers Fighting Cancer!